Sunday, November 6, 2011

the goose loves chevron curtains

My sincere apologies, friends. I started Novemer off so well, and then skipped out on you all last week! Well I have good excuses - last week was crazy at work, and I'm now slightly overcommitted in the sewing department. But more on that later.

Here's a quick one from a couple of weeks ago. Back when I had time for house projects.

Meet my front window. (Doesn't that sound familiar?)
It's fairly boring. It actually had a worse curtain up earlier, that we took down because it was ugly. We then replaced it temporarily with two yards of green and white material, but had to take that "curtain" down when we decided to use the material for our ottoman. Then, for a week or so, we'd throw a big blanket over the curtain rod to get a little privacy. Talk about redneck. So it was high time for a real curtain.
I had this awesome green chevron, and decided it would be great. I measured my window and cut out the fabric. Yes, that's a combo sewing ruler and heavy duty construction measuring tape.
I then used hem tape to make my seams/hems - about 3/4 inch, folded over twice (to have completely hidden edges). The hem tape is super easy to use, and keeps my hems perfectly in place before I sew.

Then I just go along the edge - I used a zig zag stitch, as a play on the chevron print... haha.
I made sure to reverse-stitch at the corners, to make sure they didn't pop up. I also actually cut the folds on the corners at a diagonal, to lessen the bunch of material.
And then, uh oh! I broke my needle. See how it completely split in two? Not sure how that happened.
And then, the result! Yeah no major wow factor here, but it's a heck of a lot more classy than a blanket.


Ahh much better.
Well there you go. Something to read, and another project checked of the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment